If you are interested in becoming a Student Leader it is important that you consider carefully the following criteria for yourself:
1. Do you feel you would like to work with fourth grade youngsters?
2. Can you afford to be away from high school for one week?
3. Is your personality such that you are a pleasant person to be around?
4. Can you assume a position of leadership with young people?
5. Are you the type of person to which parents would entrust the care of their children? (Do you have high personal standards?)
6. Do you enjoy the out-of-doors? (Enough to be outside in a mixture of weather?)
7. Do you have an interest in history or drama?
8. Do you feel you can meet the Student Leader Expectations?
A positive answer to the above criteria should ensure a unique and highly gratifying experience for you, one which cannot be duplicated during your school career.
The final selection of Student Leaders is made by the staff at the Oregon Trail site which you attend during your two-day workshop. The staff will evaluate your performance using the list of Student Leader Expectations. If, in the judgment of the permanent staff, it would be in the best interest of Oregon Trail that you not attend, you will be notified by a personal letter. At the conclusion of the two-day workshop all accepted Student Leaders‟ names will be sent to the appropriate high school where the high school counselor will have the final option on approval. In the event you are not approved by your high school you will be notified.