Ask students to describe 3 ways that soil affects their lives.
Responses may include any of the following:
• Provides nutrients for the plants we eat.
• Holds water for plants and animals.
• Regulates flow of water into streams and rivers.
• Provides foundation for buildings.
• Provides habitat for organisms that decompose organic material to add nutrients to the soil and prevent dead plant and animal matter from piling up.
• Filters chemicals and pollutants out of water to keep it from contaminating drinking water and rivers.
…And many more!
Students may expand on each item with 2-3 sentences.