- Desire to work with children in a positive, supportive manner.
- Ability to communicate with fourth-grade students, classroom teachers, 4th Grade Overnight personnel, parents, and peers.
- Exhibit enthusiasm, maturity, responsibility, flexibility, initiative, and leadership.
- Enjoy the out-of-doors.
- Receive recommendation of high school counselor and parental permission.
- Maintain passing grades, good attendance, completion of all homework.
- Meet Student Leader Expectations at Student Leader Workshop.
Field Instructor directly and Site Supervisor ultimately.
- Assist as an instructor for a resource area.
- Work with staff to create a living history character to portray during your week at the 4th Grade Overnight Program.
- Aid the fourth grade students and their parents in all phases of the 4th Grade Overnight Program.
- Serve as a “trail guide” to a cabin group – helping the parents with key cabin times.
- Maintain open communication with 4th Grade Overnight personnel, parents, and classroom teachers.
- Seek assistance when needed.
- Each Student Leader receives a written evaluation at the conclusion of the 4th Grade Overnight week. The High School Student Leader is evaluated on the Student Leader Expectations.
- The Student Leader, the High School Counselor and the Outdoor School office each receive a copy of the written evaluations.