Application deadline: February 16, 2018
Link: Youth ACT website
Youth ACT (Activist Conservation Team) is an Audubon Society of Portland training program that fosters conservation and advocacy skills, provides community organizing and outreach tools, and deepens environmental policy education.
This new initiative is being led by experienced staff from Portland Audubon’s conservation and education teams. Stephanie Taylor, Portland Audubon’s Conservation Field Organizer brings years of experience as an environmental activist and has worked for a variety of organizations including Oregon Wild and the Pacific Wolf Coalition. Her interests span from forest and animal defense to the mitigation of climate change and include a strong emphasis on environmental justice and equity issues.
Stephanie will be joined by Tim Donner, Portland Audubon’s Environmental Educator. Tim has been working with youth in outdoor education settings for over a decade, and has led numerous Portland Audubon youth trips including week-long trips to Yellowstone, backpacking trips in the Wallowas, and international trips to Belize. He has a passion for connecting youth to nature and is excited to collaborate with Stephanie to provide an engaging and much-needed program for youth in our community.
We are seeking youth who:
- Are between 14-18 years old
- Have an interest in environmental conservation, advocacy, wildlife care, or community science
Application deadline is February 16, 2018.
Fill out applications online here, or email completed application to: email@example.com
*Program orientation will be held on Saturday, March 10, 2018.*
Spring 2018 Training Dates: All Saturdays, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- March 10, 11am - 3p - Welcome and Intro to the Program
- March 17, 11am - 3p - Conservation Issues 101
- April 7, 11am - 3p - Art Build to Elevate Your Message
- May 12, 11am - 3pm - Intro to Public Speaking / Testifying to Decision Makers
- May 19, 11am - 3pm - Tabling and Outreach 101 @ Leach Botanical Garden Nature Fair with TALON + education birds
- June 2, 11am - 3pm - Conservation Celebration + Presentation for Guardians
Location: Training days will be based out of Portland Audubon’s Sanctuary in Northwest Portland, with some of travel offsite to different events and greenspaces in the greater Portland area. Portland Audubon will work with youth to provide transportation to the sanctuary, if needed. Advocacy opportunities may arise at offsite locations with transportation provided from Portland Audubon.