Application due: April 4, 2018
Link: BackcountryGirls Website
BackcountryGirls is a backpacking and art adventure for high school girls (cis and trans gender) at Mount St. Helens. BackcountryGirls will explore the trails, forests, and pumice plain of the volcano, while learning to express themselves through nature, art, and writing. The group will spend five nights in the backcountry, learning the art of leadership, creative problem solving, and living outdoors.
- 10 girls graduating from 9th-11th grade from Washington and Oregon
- 60% of girls chosen will be from Clark County, WA
- No previous outdoor experience necessary. All high school aged girls encouraged to apply!
- Drop-off location is at Re Cross Building at Fort Vancouver (605 Barnes St., Vancouver, WA)
- The first day will be spent at Mount St. Helens Institute Headquarters in Amboy, WA
- The second day through the last day will be backpacking in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest
- Parents/Guardians will have the opportunity to join the group for the last day's final hike, transportation provided from Vancouver, WA
- Parent/Guardian Meeting and Family Hike: Saturday June 30, 2018 (Location TBD)
- Trip Dates: July 16 - July 21, 2018 (6 days, 5 nights)
Cost: FREE! Thanks to our generous supporters.
- The Mount St. Helens Institute will assist selected girls with acquiring the necessary supplies to participate.
- See Suggested Equipment List HERE
BackcountryGirls participants are selected by application.
- APPLICATIONS OPEN: February 9, 2018
- APPLICATIONS DUE: April 4, 2018
- SELECTIONS ANNOUNCED: April 20, 2018
- APPLY HERE (PDF): print, fill, and mail!