Food and Justice
Locations: MN, WI, IA
For: Students Ages 15-18
Dates: July 2-27, 2019
- Hike along the rivers between Minnesota and Wisconsin, searching for bald eagles and learning about the ways that rivers connect communities
- Learn about the Ojibwe story and harvest of manoomin (wild rice) in the lakes of Central Minnesota
- Discover the cooperative efforts of both large- and small-scale farmers across the region
- Get your hands dirty with the folks that grow our food
- Listen to the stories of immigrants who have influenced the food landscape in the Midwest
- Cook and share meals with food experts representing the diverse cultural backgrounds of the region
Everyone has a relationship to food. This three-week exploration of the Upper Midwest is designed to explore those relationships and connect them to every part of our food system - the growing, the selling, the buying, the cooking, and the sharing. We’ll adventure through the natural beauty of the Midwest, discover the complexities of both small- and large-scale farming, trace commodity chains through different types of grocery stores, learn to cook new varieties of foods, and share meals with diverse community members as they share their personal food stories. Throughout the trip we’ll reflect on our own roles in both local and national food systems and develop a personal vision of food justice.
Academic Courses Include: U.S. History, Science and Health, Change-Making and Leadership, Economics
This trip might be for you if you are:
- generally excited about traveling, meeting new people, or experiential learning
- passionate about food and sharing stories about food
- excited to build friendships with peers from around the country who will offer perspectives that differ from your own
- interested in social justice in the US context and curious about how food systems connect directly to other issues of justice
- just a curious person!
Tuition: sliding scale from $360-$3600
We are open to all students regardless of their ability to pay.
APPLY TO BE A STUDENT
NOMINATE A STUDENT
LEARN ABOUT OUR COMMITMENT TO ACCESS AND FINANCIAL AID
APPLY TO BE ON OUR STAFF TEAM